background

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Having Autism during Thanksgiving...

 
For most of our autistic families, "be ready for the unexpected" is a must.
Going out of the routine is a sin.... and you pay the consequences... regardless of the time of day or the place you  are,.. even the people who are around you.
 
this time... I can say.. I should've known....
 
So here is the Thanksgiving story of 2013.
 
We were due to go to my brother in law's place... our planning included coming almost to the time dinner was going to be ready and almost at the table, as we know Miss G. is an impatient one and dinner time is always at the same time no matter where we are....
Sure enough we arrived but night time is almost on us... Mistake number one... We should've leave earlier specially when going to a place we dont visit except for the holidays.
Mistake number 2... we forgot to explain to Miss G where were we going and who we were going to see... ( except we didnt have pictures of the family!!)
Mistake number 3... suround her by most family members asking her to get out of the car.....
 
I was ready to cry... I was hungry and really looking forward to this time... Food is always amazing!!! my mother in law cooks delicious!!! I love her Thanksgiving dinners.... My sister in law makes an amazing sweet potatoe casserole... ahhh... well... you get the idea...
 
After 20 minutes of fruitless efforts...  we left... my stomache growled.. my husband was just hoping that at least the chinese place was open because Wife was becoming the green monster.....
the ride back home has never been so awful!!!
 
we were passing houses that their driveways were full of cars and I could imagine the families getting together, eating all the yummy food....
and Gabby in her car seat just chilling with her ipad....
 
Well... Im still gratefull for her in my life... because she makes it interesting... and unpredictable.
Maybe next reunion... we will make it to the door!!.
 
Happy thanksgiving everyone...!!
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment