background

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

April 23... what I would love to say to Gabby's classmate's parents

I have thought of this so many times... I started a note, then a letter saying something about Gabby for the past 3 years at the beginning of the school year... then I delete the whole thing. And I go back to think. Why bother?
They probably will toss the letter along with the many notes that come home from school, a few will say, ah... it's from the mom of "THAT" kid....
and then my heart will break.
I see the difference. The kids are sweet, and nice, and they tolerate and even understand Gabby. I did hear at the beginning of Kindergarten that some kids got scared of her because of her loud humming noises and constant flapping... Then their social counselor explained that she is a little different but yet she was just as them, with feelings and she probably was doing the noises and the flapping because she was also scared of a new place, new kids and new routine.
The kids took it really well.. The few times I go to school I see all the kids looking at Gabby like any other kid. they greet her on the hallways and smile at her. a couple of them even stop and wait until they make eye contact with her.They have even come to help her with the projects they are working, her aide tells me once in a while that they came to her to play during recess.
Yet the parents are different. I had a little (very very little) birthday party last year.. and asked 4 girls that I heard liked Gabby at school to come and have fun with her at the pool.
One mom was amazing and came and spend time with us... the other three didn't even bother RSVP, even when I even called on the phone....
Sadly I heard the girl in the background saying "mommy I want to go to Gabby's party".

I would love to say to many parents something like this:

Hi, My Name is Gabby, and I'm in your kids class sometimes during the day. we get along really well. We eat together during lunch time, love recess, have a blast during art, music and PE sessions. we both love Mrs X as our teacher, and enjoy a lot story time. We both make art projects in school.
and we both love Mickey Mouse, Donald, Goofy and all the gang.  We both love chicken fingers and French fries, and love a good ice cream for dessert if we don't get a cupcake as an option.
I know we would love to go to Disney sometime soon! We probably love a water park during the summer months, play in the snow in winter snow days, jump on a pile of leaves during fall, and collect flowers in spring.
So you see your kid and I have probably many many things in common, except that I cant speak and I have to leave the classroom to go to my autistic support classroom. where I spend most of the time learning things that most kids already know. I spend my afternoons doing therapy instead of going to a dance class o an activity or sport.
I need to control my body movement so I don't flap and disrupt the class, and also my humming gets loud once in a while, I'm working on it so instead of humming I can actually ask a question and participate in the class.

My mom would love to have your kid and me have play dates and become better friends.
I know it might be hard, because I'm different, but not so much. My feelings are there, and I can sense when someone doesn't like me.

I do wish I could be able to come to birthday parties, and other activities, but I get trapped in my own world many times.

My life it's complicated, but it doesn't take long to understand me, and love me as I am. One thing for sure, I'm a pretty honest and sweet girl.
I hope you get me a chance to be good friends with your kid.
after all.. I bet you are like my mom, who loves to see me loved, and wants to best for me.


yeap... maybe something like this will work.... but again... I might just start all over and write something different... as i have done so many times....






No comments:

Post a Comment