background

Monday, April 1, 2013

Autism Month... Pretty much every day

So back in October I was posting little things about Gabby having Down Syndrome and what it feels to live that part of her... And I say "part of her" because the other part is Autism.
Yeah... we got hit twice!! but we hope the third time would be winning the Lottery... Come on.. it's just fair right???

Anyways... Winning the Autism DX wasn't so much a shock since we were able to see some different attitudes and behaviors when she was 3... By that time we were hoping Speech was just taking longer for her, She really doesn't want to play now, her meltdowns are because X or Y,  her dislike for textures was just a phase, her flapping was out of excitement or she might be dancing when she moves from foot to foot...

And then she stop smiling... and looking at me in the eye... that was the hardest.. I was able to find an excuse for everything but that.

5 minutes into the developmental pedi. She said... Yeah. she has Autism. She needs more OT, PT and Speech....
And then what??? what else can I do for her?? how to I get MY GABBY BACK???
With this DX I didn't cry, I didn't got mad. With this DX I found and explanation and a reasonable excuse for all the changes we were facing now. But how do we fix her?
I didn't have any friends who had to face this? I mean how can you get hit twice? is it even possible?
I honestly don't remember how did we hear about ABA... what in the world does it means?
and I found Allison Traina. and the tantrums, and the confusion and many bad behaviors were addressed in the nicest way.
She had the time to sit with me and hear me probably cry and ask for help... I swear that I was just hoping that she wouldn't reject our case because who deals with 2 DXs?
But she did... and she got me Lindsay.... And Lindsay became the best friend Gabby could have, she played with her and taught her to use her PECs, so Gabby was able to communicate with us.
Lindsay and Allison were with me with one of the biggest and last meltdowns we had to deal in a very long time. And they showed me how to act, and react to it.
Lindsay went to the bounce house, the birthday parties, play dates, her school and spend hours upon hours with us....
Krista came later... and she and Gabby clicked right there..
Her sweet voice and her strong will made Gabby respect her and continue learning more and more..
She also had the patience and dedication to make Gabby complete tasks, and master many goals.
I miss my girls... because you know what? when these girls spend so much time with us and show how much love they have for Gabby, they become family.

And now we have Sofia, our firecracker Sofia, who has the energy of 10!! her sense of humor, her strong personality rubs on Gabby and the laughs and success continues every day. From playing balloons, to working on her new communication device, every session is an adventure... No one knows what Sofia will make Gabby achieve today...

So yes... my first blog of the Autism Month is for my girls, Allison, Lindsay, Krista and Sofia.
Our infinite gratitude for all you have done for us all these years, for all the time you have spend with us, for your patience, for the love of your profession.
Thank you for taking the time to teach us to be better parents for Gabby.
Thank you for Bringing Gabby back to me.

Alina

No comments:

Post a Comment